Thursday, July 16, 2009

Gardens and Insects!!

Ok so this weekend i was having a nice visit with my Papa. Lately I have been growing my own vegetable garden and so has my papa. So we decided to take a stroll around the property so he could show me all the fruits and vegetables he has. We picked pears, plums, tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash. Dawn and Mike (my sister and her boyfriend) went inside, ahead of us.

I gathered up all the veggies and started one foot into the garage and felt a sting. I looked down and a mad, angry wasp was attacking my arm, vegetables went flying everywhere! I brushed it off and went inside. Soon to find out that mike felt like he was aggravating them by coming in and out the door. eww...it hurt so bad! my first wasp sting. I think i may be slightly allergic... you tell me...It throbbed for over two hours! i don't know if i got the stinger out or not. I have read many places that most wasp don't leave theirs behind and can sting several times.

So here is the picture of my arm after my two hour home in the car.


And this is what it looked like two days later. So itchy!

So now i get home to my house to my own little container garden to find my beautiful plants covered in these left-footed bugs!






They are everywhere! They even FLY. yes Fly! I went straight to Kmart to pick up some pesticide. I am not messing around. I wanted beautiful organic plants but it is either pesticide or abandon my beautiful yummy plants because of the scariness of these things!



Not to mention that but i went outside this morning to give more water to my plants. I didn't see any of these. But i did see honey bees. No, they don't bother me. I think "hi, little honey bee, thanks for pollinating my plants for me" BUT today for the first time one seem to jump right out of its flower and point its stinger at me!!! What! It didn't help that I read that wasp leave their scent to tell other wasp to sting! i just imagined that it was somehow a cross communication between bees and wasp and what if the bee knew! It followed me all the way to my door with its butt aimed right at me!

it looked just like this! i am not making this up.. it was totally calling my bluff!
For real? do these suckers really want me to abandon my plants? there is just much i can take!

Here is a picture of my eggplants! They are the only vegetable so far that isn't disappointing me in some way!


1 comment:

Young Psychology said...

I can't believe they leave their scent behind...that is disturbing! Brilliant story, my friend!