Thursday, July 16, 2009

God meeting me through music

It is amazing how God knows everything that is going to happen before it happens. He orchestrates little things in our path to let us know he is there. Sometime back in 2008 Laura Story was here in concert. It was small and nice and I left thinking I was really touched by her story and the beautiful songs she had written. Last minute on the way out the door i decided to buy her new cd.

I just so happens I have been going through some majorly hard things lately. I remember day one of this trial riding back from Pelion in my car and i put in her cd. This song was such a blessing to me. It is something i listen to often and pray these words over my life.

Verse 1:
When I’m at the point of breaking at the place where I resign,
And I’m at the stage of shaking my head as I look back on my life,
When I’m halfway through the grieving, but not quite through the ache,
When I cannot see the ending
Or which road I’m supposed to take,
All I know to do is lift my hands to You.

Chorus:
Take all of my life, all of my life,
And make something beautiful.
I open my hand, trusting Your plan.
Make something beautiful so all will see

The next verse goes on the say "Do I say I’m barely breathing? Or do I say I am doing fine?" I often think about this question. I mean most days i am doing fine. not good or great but fine, because i am trusting that God is going to make something beautiful out of this. Even if its not how I think it should be. And then there are those few days that i am barely breathing, But it those days that i see His comforting hand all the more in my life. When he sends people to come along side me to show me He is there.

Laura wrote this song during a trial in her life in which her husband was battling a brain tumor. He became sick within the first year of their marriage and it took them a year to figure out it was due to a malignant non-cancerous brain tumor. Her is what she wrote in an interview about the song.

“That’s probably the most raw experiential song on there. It just talks about being in a place where you are looking at your life and it just seems like a mess and there’s a line that says, “All I know to do is lift my hands to you.’ I think a lot of times in life we come to a point where we can’t make sense of any of it. Life is so much more than you can imagine and the only way we can react as Christians is to just hold our hands to God and say, ‘Okay, we don’t understand, but we are going to trust you and ask you to use the tough situations to glorify yourself.”

That last statement is so true. I don't understand but i am going to trust you and ask you to use this tough situation for your glory!

The last song on her cd is called "Perfect Peace." It is really good. It is God talking to us. Talk to me. Here is what He says....

stay close by my side
keep your eyes on me though this life is hard
i will give you perfect peace
in this time of trial
pain that no one sees
trust me when i say
i will give you perfect peace
and you'll never walk alone
and you'll never be in need
though i may not calm the storms around you
you can hide in me
burdens that you bear
offer no relief let me bear your load
cause i will give you perfect
stay close by my side
and you'll never walk alone
keep your eyes on me
and you will never be in need
though this life is hard know
that i will always give you perfect peace
i will give you perfect peace


A nice reminder to keep my eyes on Him.

No comments: