Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Old Fashioned!

I am so old fashioned! Maybe this is a good thing...personally i don't mind it...but will I?

I don't see why an 11 year old should have their own cell phone? Call me crazy! I mean a cell phone that shares a family plan. I guess i could see a certain age giving a pre-paid phone...pay as you go type of deal for emergencies. But 11 years old...i don't know if there are too many opportunities that a girl of that age should be without her family or an adult (who would have a cell phone).
Why do they need it?

Don't get me wrong. I am ALL for independence gradually at certain mile markers in a younger person's life. Otherwise, how would they learn and grow, making small mistakes under your watchful eye that would lead to correction of behavior and smarter, more prepared young adults.

Its feels like parents are allowing freedom to children too early. Which seems to open up doors to dangerous behavior at way too young of an age. Girls dressing older than they should. Knowing about adult topics and behaviors early. I know I know...such a big rant for a little topic as a phone.

Has the world gotten that much more worse than when i was that age 16 years ago? I didn't have a phone until i was 18 years old. (no pager, no nothing) How did people do it back then?
I am just saying its doable...and when is the age appropriate?

Open for discussion...feel free to leave your opinions...it won't offend me. Like i said...i might change my mind and it is completely different when it YOUR kid.

No comments: